Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Almond Crusted Chicken with Spinach-Tomato Sauté

I am really excited about this dish!  It's one of the those dishes that sends your taste buds into a flavor frenzy.....my mouth was literally watering from the smell of this chicken while it was cooking.  When I came home from work last night, I thought to myself, "Restaurants serve macadamia nut crusted fish, so why not cook almond crusted chicken?" In turn, this dish was born and needless to say, I put a little dent in my Costco size bag of almonds :)  


Ingredients:


2 boneless, thinly-sliced chicken breasts
Grapeseed oil (I like switching off between olive oil and grapeseed oil because of their different tastes)
5 water crackers (unsalted, plain), crushed
2 - 2 1/2 handfuls of almonds, chopped
Yellow and red tomatoes (I buy these from the farmer's market because I love the color and taste of the tomatoes I find there)
Organic spinach (1/2 a container)
Rice blend (brown, red, and wild rice)
2-3 cloves of fresh garlic
Seasonings = Mediterranean spice blend and white pepper for the chicken, cracked pepper for the spinach and tomatoes


1.  Crush 5 water crackers onto a plate.  They do not need to be finely crushed, some chunks are okay.  They will crisp up on the chicken, leaving a nice crust.  Next, add chopped almonds and spices to the plate of crushed crackers.  Rub grapeseed oil onto chicken breasts and roll in cracker/almond mix, coating generously.




2.  Chop up fresh garlic (1 -2 cloves) and place in a frying pan with 1/4 cup of grapeseed oil.  Cook on medium heat until you can smell the aroma of garlic.  Then, place chicken breasts in pan and cook 5 minutes a side or until crust is golden brown.




3.  Meanwhile, cut up tomatoes and place in frying pan with 2 tbs of grapeseed oil, fresh garlic (1 clove), and cracked.  Cook on medium heat until tomatoes are warm and soft.  Once soft, add 1/2 container or more spinach and sauté until spinach leaves are slightly wilted, but still bright green in color (about 2-5 minutes depending on how much spinach you use). 




4.  Once chicken and spinach are cooked, serve over rice and enjoy!   
(I proudly showed off my creation to my boyfriend, who was drooling over skype!)




Happy thought for the day:  Less than 2 weeks until I see my boyfriend! Hun- I can't wait to cook for you when you're here!  


Happy cooking,
L



No comments:

Post a Comment