Sunday, September 19, 2010

Spicy Pan-Seared Tilapia with Green Beans

I have less than 7 days until I see my boyfriend, so it's time to buckle down on my exercise and eating habits this week!  I love this dish specifically, because it is packed with lean protein (22g to be exact).  I especially enjoy eating fish because of all the healthy benefits, such as omega-3 fatty acids and lean protein.  My absolute favorite is salmon, either grilled or broiled, with lemon and spices (recipes to follow in later posts!).  Tilapia has recently become one of my favorites this year because of its light flavor and the ease with which it can be prepared.  For all those out there who usually shy away from cooking fish because of the smell or you don't like the taste of fish, this is one recipe worth trying.  It can be cooked in the broiler or a pan and is ready in a matter of minutes.  I usually buy the frozen tilapia loins at Costco, which can last for up to a couple of weeks.

Grocery List:
Frozen Tilapia Loins
Fresh green beans
Seasonings =  cheyenne pepper, paprika, red pepper, cracked black pepper and garlic (dried or fresh) for the green beans
Tomatoes for a tomato salad (I added this to the dish because we had some left over from our farmer's market trip)


Kirkland Frozen Tilapia Loins from Costco
For starters, I place about 2 tbs. of olive oil (or grapeseed oil, depending on my mood that day) into a frying pan on medium heat.  Next, I add my seasonings (cheyenne pepper, black pepper, and red pepper -about 1/2 tps. of each) to the oil and once the oil has heated up, I place my loins in the pan.  On the top side of the tilapia, I again, add more seasonings.  Cook each loin for 4 minutes on each side until a light brown crust forms.  




While my tilapia is cooking, I add 2 tbs. of olive oil to another pan along with about 1/2 tbs. of cracked black pepper and 1/2 - 1 tbs. of garlic (1 - 2 cloves).  Then, I place my fresh green beans (wash and cut off tops & tails first) into the pan  and cook for about 5-10 minutes until desired tenderness is reached - I like my green beans to still have a little crunch to them.  


As a side for this particular night, I cut up some tomatoes and served them on the side with a little cracked black pepper and sea salt.  This dish would also go great with a side of rice or quinoa as well.  

Enjoy!


- L -







1 comment:

  1. I LOVE those Tilapia Loins. We use them all the time. I will definately try out your recipe next time to get some variety!

    I am borrowing your picture of the tilapia bag for a recipe post tomorrow, so I will be sure to link over here to your post so my readers can come visit your blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete